In Issue 76 Pages 15 – 16 are the instructions for “Updating the Printer Firmware” prior to Calibration. Follow these steps after downloading the “V3_Firmware_PC file“.
- Drill into folder arduino-0023
- Run Arduino (an old Alpha Build)
- Ignore “Update” prompt if it appears
- Click on File and navigate to folder “V3 software firmware/Sprinter Melzi”
- open **configuration.h file. (*see below for other 15 files in this directory)
- Select the Arduino board type “Sanguino W/ATmega 1284P 16Mhz“
- Select COMM port to which printer is connected (COMM3)
- Select “Upload” and wait for completion.
Now you can calibrate the V3 Printer.
The “Sanguino” is a third-party hardware add-on for the Arduino IDE.
To use it either use the Arduino board manager and add the following url: or simply create a folder named hardware inside your sketchbook directory. Now move the “Sanguino” directory inside that folder. The structure would look like this:
Since the ATmega1284 is not supported by Avrdude. You will have to burn the bootloader manually from the command line. See this file for help: ATmega1284.md.
Also check out this site (broken link http://blog.stevemarple.co.uk/2013/01/how-to-use-atmel-atmega1284-non-p.html) for more information and this site on Arduino Third Party Hardware.
*The other 15 Files include:
10 files for the SD Card
The 3D Create and Print Firmware update is based upon the Hydra-MM 3D Printer
Marlin Firmware v1, Basic Configuration Set-up Guide
See this link for details of the Marlin (RepRap) Firmware
and this for Triffid Hunter’s Calibration Guide
also this for a Calibration Calculator